Sydney’s inner west is a hub of culture, history, and creativity. With its unique blend of architecture, art, and diverse communities, there is plenty to see and explore. Here are five things to check out when visiting Sydney’s inner west.
Street Art in Newtown
- Newtown is a vibrant neighbourhood known for its alternative culture and street art scene. The area’s walls and laneways are covered with colourful murals and graffiti that reflect the community’s creativity and spirit. Take a walk through the neighbourhood and discover the many hidden gems.
Historic Suburbs of Balmain and Rozelle
- The inner west is home to two of Sydney’s oldest suburbs, Balmain and Rozelle. Both areas have preserved much of their historic architecture, including charming terrace houses and Victorian-era buildings. Stroll through the streets, explore the local shops and cafes, and admire the area’s unique character.
- Located in the heart of the inner west, Sydney Park is a 40-hectare park that offers stunning views of the city skyline. The park features walking and cycling paths, playgrounds, wetlands, and a large grassy area perfect for picnics and outdoor activities.
Inner West Food Scene
- The inner west is home to a thriving food scene that reflects the area’s cultural diversity. From trendy cafes to traditional Vietnamese bakeries, there is something for every taste and budget. Some popular options include Gelato Messina, Bloodwood, and Bodega 1904.
- The Glebe Markets are a must-visit for anyone interested in vintage clothing, handmade crafts, and artisanal food. The markets are held every Saturday and feature over 200 stalls selling a wide range of unique and eclectic goods. The atmosphere is lively and friendly, making it the perfect place to spend a weekend morning.
Sydney’s inner west is a fascinating and diverse area that is worth exploring. From the street art in Newtown to the historic architecture of Balmain and Rozelle, there is plenty to see and discover. With its beautiful parks, vibrant food scene, and bustling markets, the inner west is a unique and exciting part of Sydney that is not to be missed.