Melbourne is a vibrant city that is known for its arts, culture, and food scene. Whether you’re a first-time visitor or a seasoned traveller, there is always something new to discover in Melbourne. Here are seven places to visit in Melbourne that should be on every tourist’s list.
- Federation Square is Melbourne’s cultural hub and a must-visit for any tourist. It is home to a range of galleries, museums, and theatres, including the Australian Centre for the Moving Image, the National Gallery of Victoria, and the Melbourne Theatre Company. The square is also a great place to relax and people-watch, with plenty of cafes and bars to choose from.
Queen Victoria Market:
- The Queen Victoria Market is a bustling marketplace that has been operating for over 140 years. It is one of Melbourne’s most popular tourist destinations, and it’s easy to see why. The market is home to over 600 traders selling everything from fresh produce and seafood to clothing and souvenirs. It’s a great place to sample local food and soak up the atmosphere.
Royal Botanic Gardens:
- The Royal Botanic Gardens are located just a short distance from the city centre and offer a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. The gardens are home to over 8,500 species of plants, including rare and endangered species. They are also a great place for a picnic, with plenty of shady spots and beautiful views.
- The Melbourne Museum is a great place to learn about the history and culture of Melbourne and Australia. It has a range of permanent exhibitions, including the Bunjilaka Aboriginal Cultural Centre, the Melbourne Story, and the Forest Gallery. The museum also hosts regular special exhibitions and events.
St Kilda Beach:
- St Kilda Beach is a popular beachside suburb located just a short distance from the city centre. It’s a great place to relax and soak up the sun, with plenty of cafes and restaurants to choose from. The beach is also home to Luna Park, an amusement park that has been operating since 1912.
National Gallery of Victoria:
- The National Gallery of Victoria is one of Australia’s leading art museums and is home to an impressive collection of Australian and international art. It has a range of permanent and temporary exhibitions, including contemporary art, photography, and decorative arts. The gallery also hosts regular events and workshops.
The Great Ocean Road:
- The Great Ocean Road is a must-see attraction for any tourist visiting Melbourne. It’s a 243-kilometre stretch of road that runs along the southeast coast of Australia, offering stunning views of the ocean and coastline. Along the way, there are plenty of attractions to see, including the Twelve Apostles, Bells Beach, and the Otway National Park.
Melbourne is a vibrant and diverse city that has something to offer every tourist. Whether you’re interested in culture, food, or nature, these seven places should be on your list of must-visit attractions. So pack your bags, book your tickets, and get ready to discover all that Melbourne has to offer.