Sydney is a city full of famous landmarks and attractions, but it also has many hidden gems that are lesser-known but equally worth a visit. Here are seven must-see places in Sydney that are off the beaten track:
Wendy’s Secret Garden:
- Wendy’s Secret Garden is a hidden gem located in Lavender Bay, just a short walk from the North Sydney ferry terminal. This lush garden was created by Wendy Whiteley, the widow of Australian artist Brett Whiteley, as a tribute to her late husband. The garden is full of winding paths, hidden nooks, and stunning views of the harbour.
- The Rocks is a historic district located in the heart of Sydney. It’s an area of narrow streets and cobblestone laneways that has been preserved and restored to its early 19th-century appearance. The Rocks is home to some of Sydney’s oldest pubs and buildings, as well as art galleries, boutiques, and markets.
- Shark Island is a small island located in the middle of Sydney Harbour. It’s a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and enjoy a picnic with stunning views of the harbour. You can also swim, snorkel, or kayak around the island.
- Cockatoo Island is a former prison and shipyard located in Sydney Harbour. Today, it’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a popular destination for visitors interested in history, art, and culture. The island is home to a range of museums, galleries, and events, as well as camping and glamping facilities.
Paddington Reservoir Gardens:
- Paddington Reservoir Gardens is a hidden oasis located in the heart of the trendy Paddington neighbourhood. The gardens are built around the ruins of a former water reservoir and feature a sunken garden, a water garden, and a boardwalk. It’s a great place to relax and enjoy a coffee or a picnic.
Royal National Park:
- The Royal National Park is located just outside of Sydney and is the second-oldest national park in the world. It’s a great place to explore nature, with hiking trails, waterfalls, and secluded beaches. You can also spot wildlife, such as kangaroos, wallabies, and kookaburras.
The White Rabbit Gallery:
- The White Rabbit Gallery is a contemporary art museum located in Chippendale. It’s home to one of the world’s largest collections of contemporary Chinese art and features a range of exhibitions and events throughout the year. The museum also has a teahouse that serves traditional Chinese tea and snacks.
In conclusion, Sydney has many hidden gems that are worth exploring. From secret gardens to historic districts, there’s something for everyone in this beautiful city. So, if you’re looking for a unique and memorable experience in Sydney, be sure to check out these lesser-known must-see places.